Smith & Nephew Biobrane Biosynthetic Wound Dressing Glove
Biobrane is a biocomposite dressing made from an ultra thin, semipermeable silicone membrane mechanically bonded to a flexible knitted trifilament nylon fabric. When used in conjunction with Versajetthe traditional window of use can be extended beyond 24 hours
- A nontoxic mixture of highly purified peptides derived from porcine dermal collagen has been bonded to the nylon/silicone membrane to provide a highly flexible and conformable composite dressing with adherence properties and a hydrophilic, biocompatible surface.
- Initial adherence results from the fibrin on the clean wound surface preferentially bonding to the collagen surface of the dressing.
Reduces water vapour loss
- The silicone outer layer acts like a protective epidermal barrier and reduces the water loss from the wound which is essential to avoid wound desiccation
- The adherence reduces pain and allows patients an early free movement.
- Allows some water vapour permeability which is beneficial in preventing excess fluid accumulation
- Biobrane stretches to move with the patient
Key benefits to burn wound care:
- Not more expensive when compared with inexpensive and commonly used standard dressings
- Transparency permits direct wound inspection
- Reduces length of hospital stay for patients with superficial partial thickness burnscompared with standard care
- Superficial to mid-partial thickness burns (once debrided of non-viable tissue)
- Excised burn wound with or without meshed autografts (need viable bed)
- Donor sites