Smith & Nephew Allevyn Ag Non-Adhesive Dressing
Allevyn Ag Non-Adhesive is an absorbent antimicrobial three layer dressing consisting of the following:
- A SSD (Silver Sulfadiazine) containing absorbent hydrocellular pad sandwiched between a perforated non adherent wound contact layer and a waterproof outer film.
The dressing provides an effective barrier to microbial contamination protecting the wound from invasive pathogenic micro-organisms, thus assisting faster healing. SSD is effective against micro-organisms present in the dressing and in the wound. In the presence of exudate the dressing will help maintain a moist wound environment.
Contraindications / Precautions:
- Do not use on patients known to be hypersensitive to silver sulfadiazine or sulfonamides.
- As sulphonamides are known to cause kernicterus, Allevyn Ag Non-Adhesive should not be used on females who are at, or near term pregnancy or lactating, on premature infants or on newborn infants during the first months of life.
- For external use only.
- Allevyn Ag Non-Adhesive is not compatible with oxidizing agents (e.g.EUSOL) or hydrogen peroxide, as these can break down the absorbent polyurethane component of the dressing.
- Allevyn Ag Non-Adhesive may not be compatible with topical anti-microbials.
- In the event of clinical infection, topical silver does not replace the need for systemic therapy or other adequate infection treatment.
- Reddening of the skin around the wound may be observed. This may be related to irritation of fragile skin or wound exudate remaining in contact with normal skin for prolonged periods of time. If reddening or sensitisation occur, discontinue use.
- Avoid contact with electrodes or conductive gels during electronic measurements e.g. EEG and ECG.
- When Allevyn Ag Non-Adhesive is used on a patient during MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) examination some warming may be experienced.
- Allevyn Ag Non-Adhesive is not compatible with oil based products such as petrolatum.
- Allevyn Ag Non-Adhesive is not suitable for use alone on cavity wounds but may be used over cavity wounds as a secondary dressing.
- As with all products containing silver sulfadiazine the following precautions should be noted, especially when covering a large surface area with the dressing.
- Use caution in patients with significant hepatic or renal impairment.
- Use caution in individuals known to have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency.
- Effects of systemically administered drugs may be altered. This can especially apply to oral hypoglycaemic agents and to phenytoin. In the case of these drugs, it is recommended that blood levels should be monitored as their effect can be potentiated.